Deanna Nichols Photos

HOME || ABOUT || EXHIBITIONS || GALLERY || PHOTOBLOG || CONTACT

Tuesday, September 8, 2026

August 2026: Part One

 

Birds of August

Blue Grosbeak male
 
In August, the first of the fall migrants start to come through, while most of the summer breeding birds still remain. 
 
On the CNP survey, we had a Rock Wren and couple of Loggerhead Shrikes.This Shrike had caught a large insect and was attempting, unsuccessfully, to impale the insect on a branch without spikes. Perhaps a young one just learning Shrike ways?
  
 
The Swainson's Hawk Fledglings were still hanging around, begging for food. I assume they've headed south by now. 

Across the river, on the ditch east of the Bosque School, a flock of Lazuli Buntings were foraging with Lesser Goldfinches. There are also yet another Rock Wren, and a recently arrived Western Wood Pewee. (Photos are presented in the order named in this paragraph).


 
At Los Poblanos Open Space, Western Bluebird fledglings dabbled in a parking lot puddle.  
 
Lark Sparrows were everywhere that the habitat was suitable. This one was in a field at Los Poblanos Open Space. 
 

 Sketching the Summer Doldrums Away

I was feeling a need to find something to engage me at home in the hot August afternoons. This led me to the internet for some watercolor and sketching tutorials. A friend told me about Ian Fenelly's "Introduction to Urban Sketching," a very generous free internet offering, and loved it. The ideas I learned from this class put me in perhaps my most productive period of sketching yet. 

I will start with the sketch  that I did during his tutorial. I was using his photo reference, and following what he did step-by-step, so I don't claim the results as completely my own, but I loved it, and for those interested in signing up for the class, this will give you an idea of what you'd be doing.

Here is what I did on my own after the class. I started by going to Old Town Plaza and taking some photos to paint from at home:

 
 

I wanted to try an ink drawing using the brush pens and micron pens that I was introduced to in the class. I sketched this one afternoon at the Satellite Cafe. Fortunately my subjects stayed in place long enough for me to complete this, which doesn't always happen.

 

Then I turned to my archive of photos from my photographer days. These two are of Los Ranchos icons near where I lived until 2019: Casa Rondena Winery, and the El Camino Dining Room.


So that's what I did in August, up until my trip to Denver the last week of the month. That memorable trip warrants another post, which will be coming soon.

 

 

 

1 comment:

Vickbird said...

Ahhh, your sketches are a marvel of character and liveliness. What a gift you have!

 
All images on this site are copyrighted by Deanna Nichols. All rights are reserved.