Deanna Nichols Photos

HOME || ABOUT || EXHIBITIONS || GALLERY || PHOTOBLOG || CONTACT

Monday, March 8, 2021

And So it Begins: Again

  


 

This evening on my walk, Wild Curve-Billed Thrasher song was bursting forth from just about every single known nesting territory that I passed. 4 out of 5, actually. And I found a pair in three of the four territories. Last Spring around this time, I was just beginning to search for neighborhood Thrasher nests. How gratifying to be able to so quickly confirm activity in all but one territory this year. 



The first pair I encountered at the very first active nest I confirmed last Spring. As I approached, this one was sitting on a tree above the cholla where they nest last year, listening to another singing nearby. Then this one started to sing, at first a few soft notes, clearly a communicative response to the other. A 2nd Thrasher then landed on the ground below the first, gathered some grass, and took it to the nest. I didn't see where the 2nd Thrasher went. The 1st one (pictured), jumped up higher in the tree and began singing loudly and persistently. Another was singing across the street. I couldn't confirm that the nest-building Thrasher was the 2nd singer, but there was no singing while s/he was working on the nest. So, though not confirmed, I do wonder if this is an example of male/female call and response. 

Further down the street at the corner, another Curve-Billed Thrasher was singing loudly right next to their nest. 



Further on, in Mirraceros Park, I found another singer on the way in. On the way out, both were on top of this Cholla. One hopped down to the ground before I could get a picture. Soon they were both poking around the ground. As far as I could tell they were foraging, rather than gathering materials for their nest.

On my way home, the 2nd nest I found was quiet, but peeking into the cholla, I found both of the pair near the nest. 

Home again at dusk, the Curve-Billed Thrasher I've often heard from my balcony (nest site unknown) was still singing away. 

I'm looking forward to how the season unfolds. In my next entry, I hope to share my adventures in observing the nests and territories last Spring. Til then!

 


No comments:

 
All images on this site are copyrighted by Deanna Nichols. All rights are reserved.